2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup fine almond flour (found it on amazon here)
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup baker’s sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (found it on amazon here)
1 tsp vanilla extract (find my absolute FAVORITE vanilla here)
Preheat the oven to 280F
- Pour the powdered sugar and almond flour into a bowl and mix together. Then add it to a flour sifter and sift the ingredients into another bowl.
- Add 3 egg whites to a mixer and beat in the sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat the egg mixture until stiff peaks form, but be sure to not over beat.
- Add in food coloring.
- Using a spatula, fold the dry flour ingredients into the wet meringue mixture, making sure to keep the air in the folds (don’t just stir it).
- Pour the batter into a pastry bag (or a ziplock if you’re in a pinch) with a .4 inch cut tip.
- Using a macaroon pastry sheet, fill in the 1in circles with the batter – you can use parchment paper also but you won’t get as perfect of circles.
- Tap the baking sheet a few times to release any air bubbles – that way the cookie won’t crack when baking ;-/
- Let the cookies sit out for 15 min before baking so they can stiffen.
- Bake at 280F for 15-18 min
Macaron Buttercream Filling:
7 tbs salted butter, softened
2 egg yokes
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, mash the softened butter until its the consistency of mayonnaise (gross I know) and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yokes and sugar until its completely mixed in. Then add the milk and whisk in.
- Pour the egg mixture into a small sauce pan and stir on low heat to thicken. You want it to get to a pudding texture, be sure to not overheat – you don’t want the mixture to boil or curdle.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the bowl and add the mashed up butter and the vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Add food coloring of your choice.
- Pour the frosting into a piping bag and pipe a layer of frosting in-between each cookie and sandwich them together.
Wallah! And you’re done!
Watch other Valentine’s DIY treats and gifts here!